As you build a social media marketing strategy for your brand, you need to know the kind of people you want to reach. It is nearly impossible to achieve your marketing goals if you don’t publish the right content on the right platforms (a.k.a. where your ideal audience hangs out).
Each social media platform has its own unique demographics. For instance, TikTok is mainly used by Gen Z-ers and millennials. LinkedIn, on the other hand, is geared towards career-oriented people.
Knowing the demographics of each social media platform will help you know which network you should be on to achieve your marketing goals. And the best way to do that is to look at the hard numbers. That said, here are 100 social media demographics that marketers should be aware of in 2022.
General social media demographics
- As of January 2022, 4.62 billion people were active on social media. That’s more than half of the earth’s population.
- Globally, people spend an average of 2 hours and 27 minutes on social media every day.
- There is a digital gender gap worldwide as 54% of social media users worldwide identify as male. This gap is widest in southern Asia, where only 28% of social media users identify as female.
- The average user spends 35% of their entire time using the internet on social media.
- Globally, social media users who identify as female spend more time on social platforms than those who identify as male. In fact, females aged 16 – 24 spend the most overall time on social media (3 hours and 13 minutes a day, on average).
- With almost 3 billion global active users, Facebook is still the biggest and most popular social media platform.
- However, Facebook is not the world’s favorite social media platform. WhatsApp is—and it has won the hearts of 15.7% of social media users worldwide.
- Every month, the average internet user uses 7.5 different social platforms. In Brazil, people use the most social media platforms (an average of 8.7 platforms monthly), while people use the least number of social platforms in Japan (an average of 3.9 platforms per month).
- Almost half of global internet users say that they primarily use social media to keep in touch with family and friends. Other popular reasons include filling spare time, reading news/trending stories, and finding content. Only 17.4% of users said “supporting and connecting with good causes” was a primary reason they used social media. (Which sucks, amirite?)
Founded in 2004, Facebook is the most popular social media platform that exists. And there’s a good chance your target audience uses it. I mean, over 79% of people who use other social networks also use Facebook.
General Facebook demographics
- Facebook has nearly 3 billion monthly active users.
- About 1.93 billion people use Facebook every day.
- Daily active users make up 66% of Facebook’s monthly active users.
- 561 million people use Facebook Marketplace to buy and sell things.
- The average Facebook user spends approximately 20 hours on the app per month.
Facebook age and gender demographics
- 31% of all Facebook users are aged 25 – 34.
- 41% of all Facebook users are aged 45 and older.
- 56.6% of Facebook users identify as male, and 43.4% identify as female. Male users aged between 25 and 34 are the biggest demographic of Facebook users.
- Of all the major social media platforms, Facebook has the smallest age gap in users. The age difference between the youngest and oldest users is about 20 years.
- 55.1% of Facebook Marketplace users identify as male, and 44.9% identify as female.
Facebook device statistics
- 98.5% of all Facebook users worldwide access the platform with mobile devices.
- 82% of users only use Facebook with a mobile phone.
Further reading: Check out this Hootsuite article that details even more Facebook demographics that your brand can target.
Facebook education and income demographics
- 70% of Americans making less than $30,000/year use Facebook, which is the same percentage as those who earn above $75,000.
- In the United States, 89% of college graduates use Facebook.
Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has revolutionized the way news spreads—and how quickly. Here’s the demographic info you need to take full advantage of Twitter’s influence.
General Twitter demographics
- Twitter has 217 million monetizable daily active users.
- 436 million people actively use Twitter every month.
- Twitter is the 9th most visited website globally.
- 500 million Tweets are sent per day.
- The average user spends 5.1 hours on Twitter every month.
Twitter age and gender demographics
- 56.4% of Twitter’s advertising audience identify as male, and 43.6% are female.
- 38.5% of Twitter users globally are aged between 25 and 34. And 59.2% of Twitter users fall between the ages 25-49.
Twitter demographics by income and education
- 26% of Twitter users in the United States have completed college. 59% have either completed college or have a degree.
- 12% of Twitter users in the United States make less than $30,000 a year, and 34% earn over $75,000 annually.
Instagram is currently the fourth most-used social media platform in the world.
This network is visual-focused, and it has features like Reels, Live, and Shops to help regular users, marketers and brand owners share the best images and videos with the right people.
General Instagram demographics
- Instagram has over 1 billion monthly active users.
- 24% of users visit Instagram more than once per day.
- In 2021, users spent an average of 11 hours/month on the mobile Instagram app.
Instagram age and gender demographics
- Over half of Instagram users worldwide are under the age of 35.
- As of January 2022, 49% of all Instagram users in the world identify as female.
- Instagram is mostly used by younger people. In fact, 84% of teenagers in the United States use Instagram at least once a month.
Further reading: If your business uses Instagram for marketing purposes, check out this Hootsuite post for 30+ important Instagram statistics.
LinkedIn was founded in 2002, and since then, it has helped business professionals connect with one another.
If you’re a brand, you most likely need to have a LinkedIn business page to connect with your target audience (especially if your audience is made up of business professionals).
General LinkedIn demographics
- LinkedIn had 810 million members worldwide.
- 22% of LinkedIn members in the United States visit the site every day.
- 49 million people use LinkedIn to search for jobs every week—and six people are hired each minute.
- 57 million companies worldwide have a business page on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn age and gender demographics
- 57% of LinkedIn users are male, and 43% are female.
- 59.1% of all LinkedIn users worldwide are between the ages of 25 and 34. People aged 18-24 make up 20.4% of LinkedIn users.
- 40% of American Internet users aged 46-55 use LinkedIn.
LinkedIn geography demographics
- The United States is the country with the largest LinkedIn audience.
- As of January 2020, Iceland has the highest LinkedIn audience reach with a reach of 94%.
- There are over 185 million LinkedIn members in the United States, over 85 million members in India, over 56 million members in China, and over 55 million members in Brazil.
- 30% of urban Americans use LinkedIn, and 15% of rural Americans use the platform.
LinkedIn demographics by income and education
- 89% of American adults who have a college degree use LinkedIn.
- 50% of American adults who earn over $75,000 a year use LinkedIn.
Further reading: Check out this Hootsuite post to get even more LinkedIn demographics that matter.
Launched in 2010, Pinterest is currently the 14th most popular platform in the world. It grew so much during the COVID-19 pandemic as more people tried to learn new skills, find new recipes, and get more inspiration.
If we’re being honest, Pinterest is more like a search engine than a social media platform. But it is used for marketing purposes so much that we just had to include it in this list.
General Pinterest demographics
- Pinterest has 431 million monthly active users.
- 26% of Pinners in the United States use Pinterest every day.
- 85% of Pinterest users (also called Pinners) use the platform to start new projects.
Pinterest age and gender demographics
- 76.7% of Pinterest’s audience worldwide identify as women.
- 53% of female Internet users in the United States use Pinterest. And 18% of male Internet users in the U.S. use Pinterest.
- According to Pinterest itself, 8 out of 10 moms in the U.S. use the platform.
- Male Pinners are increasing by 40% year-over-year.
- The largest demographic of Pinners in the United States are aged 50-64. This age range makes up 38% of American Pinterest users.
Pinterest geography demographics
- The United States has 86.35 million Pinterest users.
- As of Q4 2021, Pinterest has 346 million monthly active users outside the United States.
Pinterest demographics by income and education
- 37% of Americans who have a college degree use Pinterest.
- 40% of Americans who make more than $75,000 a year use Pinterest.
Further reading: The team at Hootsuite compiled even more Pinterest demographic stats to help you improve your brand’s Pinterest marketing strategy.
Introduced in 2016, TikTok is the newest social media platform on this list. Yet, the video-sharing app has blown up so much that it is currently the 7th most used social media platform in the world.
The sudden popularity of TikTok has caused the app to become a social sensation, and people (mostly younger) are building lucrative careers off of the videos they share on the app.
General TikTok demographics
- Nearly 885 million people watch TikToks worldwide.
- Globally, 167 million TikToks are watched in one internet minute.
- TikTok has approximately 29.7 million daily active users and 120.5 million monthly active users.
- TikTok users spend 19.6 hours per month on the app on average.
TikTok age and gender demographics
- 57% of all TikTok users worldwide identify as female, and 43% identify as male.
- 25% of TikTok users in the United States are aged between 10 and 19. 22% are aged 20 to 29. And 4% of Americans aged 65 years old and above use TikTok.
- 70% of American teenagers use TikTok at least once a month.
TikTok geography stats
- TikTok users in the United States between the ages of 15 to 25 increased by 180% during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- TikTok is the most downloaded app in over 40 countries globally.
- TikTok is available in over 150 different markets and in 35 languages.
- Based on iOS revenue, the United States is TikTok’s leading market globally.
- Based on Google Play downloads, Ireland has the fastest- growing TikTok market. And Peru has the fast-growing iOS TikTok audience.
TikTok demographics by income and education
- 19% of college graduates use TikTok (and 21% of people who have completed high school or less use the platform).
- 29% of Americans who make between $30,000 and $50,000 a year use TikTok.
Snapchat is popularly used amongst younger audiences, but it has the largest age gap out of any social media platform (more info below). This means that both young and old people alike love to snap.
General Snapchat demographics
- Snapchat has 557 million global users.
- 319 million people use Snapchat every day.
- 45% of Snapchat users in the U.S. use the platform several times a day.
Snapchat age and gender demographics
- Snapchat’s largest advertising audience is people aged 18-24. At the start of 2020, the largest advertising audience was women aged 25-34.
- 54% of Snapchat users identify as female, and 39% are male.
- In the United States, Snapchat has a 63-year age difference between its youngest and oldest users.
Snapchat geography stats
- India has the largest number of Snapchat users (126 million).
- The countries that follow India as the largest Snapchat user base are: United States (107 million), France (24.2 million), and the United Kingdom (21 million).
Snapchat demographics by income and education
- 25% of Snapchat users in the United States make less than $30,000 a year, 27% make between $30,000 and $50,000, 29% make between $50,000 and $75,000, and 28% earn over $75,000 a year.
- 55% of Snapchat users in the United States have either completed some college or have a degree.
The first video on YouTube went live in 2005. Since then, YouTube has grown to be the world’s second most-used social platform.
If you use YouTube, here are some demographic stats for you.
General YouTube demographics
- YouTube has 2.56 billion users globally.
- Over 1.7 billion people visit YouTube every month.
- In 2020, about 30,000 new hours of video were uploaded every hour.
- In 2021, people streamed 694,000 hours of YouTube videos in one “internet minute”.
- The average visitor spends 14 minutes and 55 seconds on YouTube every day.
YouTube age and gender demographics
- 53.9% of YouTube users in the United States are male, and 46.1% are female.
- 77% of Internet users in the United States aged 15-25 use YouTube.
YouTube devices stats
- 78.2% of YouTube users visit the site with a desktop computer.
- Mobile users visit double the number of YouTube pages that desktop users do.
- YouTube users worldwide spend about 24 hours per month visiting YouTube from mobile devices.
- 41% of YouTube users in the United States access YouTube via a tablet.
YouTube demographics by income and education
- 89% of Americans with a college degree use YouTube.
- 90% of Americans who make $75,000+ a year use YouTube.
Further reading: This Hootsuite post covers even more YouTube statistics to help guide your YouTube marketing strategy.