When Instagram launched in October 2010, it only allowed users to post content from their mobile phones using the Instagram app. However, many Instagram users have been looking for ways to post on Instagram from their desktop (PC or Mac) computers.
If you’re one of these users, you’re in luck. In this article, we’re breaking down the different ways to post on Instagram from your computer.
Below, we explain 3 different ways to post content on Instagram from your PC or Mac. You’ll also find out how to post to Instagram via Hootsuite.
Not big on reading? Watch this 3-minute video from our friends over at Hootsuite Labs that shows how easy the process is.
With Hootsuite, you can schedule feed posts, carousel posts, Stories, and Instagram ads from your desktop computer.
The process below explains how to post to your Instagram feed. Further down in the article, we cover how to post carousels and Instagram Stories with Hootsuite.
Here’s how to publish an Instagram feed post with Hootsuite. These steps work with both PC and Mac devices.
- Create an account on Hootsuite for free. If you already have a Hootsuite account, log into it.
- Once you’re in, click on the green New Post button at the top of your Hootsuite dashboard.
- When the New Post window appears, click on Post to and select the Instagram account you want to post content to. If you haven’t connected an Instagram account to Hootsuite yet, do that by clicking + Add a social network in the box and following the instructions.
- Drop the image or video you want to publish in the Media section. Increase the quality of your image or video with the photo editor.
- Next, write your caption in the Text section, including any hashtags you want to use. You can also add a location in this step.
- After crafting your post, look through it for any mistakes. When you’re sure you’re good to go, click the Post Now button at the bottom. Or you can just schedule the post for later if you want to post it at a different time.
Here’s a quick video that shows how to post on Instagram using Hootsuite:
Last year, Instagram started allowing users to publish feed posts from a laptop or desktop via the browser version of the app.
To post content on Instagram from your PC or Mac, here’s what to do:
- Visit the Instagram website (instagram.com) on your preferred browser and log in to your account.
- Click the ‘+‘ symbol on the top right corner of your screen and a Create new post window will pop up.
- Click Select from computer to pick image or video files from your PC or Mac to upload to Instagram. To create a carousel post, select up to 10 files.
- To change the ratio of your image or video, click the frame icon in the bottom left corner of the pop-up. You can also click the looking glass icon in the bottom left to edit your frame. When you’re done, click Next in the top right corner.
- If you want to, you can click the Filters tab to apply one of the 12 preset filters. Or click the Adjustments tabs to manually adjust things like brightness, fade, and contrast. Click Next.
- Write a caption. Add emojis by clicking on the smiley face icon.
- Optional: Add a location, restrict commenting and add alt text in the Accessibility section if you wish.
- Click Share.
And you’re done!
Note: Right now, you can only create and publish feed posts directly from Instagram on desktop. Below, you’ll find out how to post Instagram Stories from your PC or Mac.
If Instagram is the main social platform your business uses, then Creator Studio might be a great choice for you. When using Creator Studio, you’ll be able to post and schedule all kinds of posts apart from Instagram Stories.
To upload photos and videos and post them to your Instagram feed using Creator Studio, follow these steps:
- First, make sure you’re connected to Instagram in Creator Studio.
- Then go to the Instagram section and click Create Post.
- Click Instagram Feed.
- If you have more than one Instagram account connected, choose the one you want to post to.
- Add a caption and your location (if you want to).
- Click Add Content to choose the images or videos you want to post. Then choose one of these two options:
- Click From file upload to upload new content.
- Click From Facebook page to post content that you’ve already published on your Facebook.
- If you want to post this content to the Facebook page connected to your Instagram account, tick the box beside your Page under Post to Facebook. You can add extra details to your Facebook post after you post on Instagram.
- Click Publish.
It is possible to post Instagram Stories from your PC or Mac using a social media management tool like Hootsuite. Here’s a quick video outlining the process:
Or you can read Hootsuite’s well-detailed article on how to post Instagram Stories from your computer.
If you don’t use Hootsuite, here’s how to post Instagram Stories directly from your PC or Mac:
- Visit instagram.com on your preferred browser and sign into your account.
- Go to Developer mode for your browser. For Google Chrome, right-click anywhere on your screen and select Inspect to open the Developer window.
- Next, click on the Mobile button as shown below to see the mobile device interface.
- Select any mobile model and click the camera icon on the top-left corner.
- Choose the photo or video you want to post to your Story. Edit the Story with text, filters, stickers, GIFs, and other embellishments.
- Click Add to your story at the bottom.
And voila! You’ve posted your Instagram Story. Notice how this process is similar to the process of posting Stories via the Instagram mobile app.
Apart from feed posts, you can also create and publish carousel posts (with up to 10 photos and videos) directly to Instagram using Hootsuite. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Planner and click New Post to launch Compose.
- Select the Instagram account you want to post to.
- Write your caption in the Text box.
- Navigate to Media and click on Select files to upload. Select all the photos you want to put in your carousel. All the selected images should show up under Media.
- Tap the yellow Schedule button to select a time and date to publish your post.
- Click Schedule. The post will appear in your Planner at the time you scheduled it for.
And that’s all! Your post will be published on the date and time you selected.
With Hootsuite Compose, you can edit any image directly on your dashboard before posting it.
Here’s how to do that:
- Log into your Hootsuite account. If you don’t have Hootsuite yet, start your free 30-day trial here.
- In your dashboard, click the green New Post button at the top.
- When the New Post window appears, select the Instagram account you want to post your content to under Post to. If you haven’t added an account yet, do that by clicking + Add a social network in the box and following the instructions.
- Add the images or videos you want to post on Instagram in the Media section.
- To edit the content, click on Edit Image below the Media section to launch Hootsuite Composer’s edit tool. This allows you to customize the aspect ratio of your photo to fit any social media platform’s image dimensions.
- From the sidebar, you can also add filters, add text and stickers, adjust lighting and focus, and use the brush.
- When you’re done, click Save.
- Add your caption, location, and hashtags.
- Then click Post Now.
And that’s it!
Note: You won’t be able to edit an image after posting it.
Post images and videos to Instagram from your PC or Mac computer with Hootsuite. Save time, engage your audience, and track your performance across all social media channels. Try Hootsuite for free today.